About the Course
Welcome to the Oriental Medical Assessment Course. Here you will find archives of invaluable lectures, practice tests and articles for review.
OMA 203 is a continuation of OMA 202. This course integrates Oriental Medical assessment into the patient intake. The focus is on using the senses to guide the questioning during the patient intake. The secondary skill will be accurate documentation of signs and symptoms during the patient intake. This course highlights the information from both a COM and TCM perspective. We will also be using the presented information to develop a Diagnosis, Treatment Principals, and a simple plan of Treatment
Goals & Objective
Goals & Objectives:
1. Students will utilize the initial and return intake forms to accurately document patient interviews both on paper forms and with electronic charting.
2. Students will conduct interviews and elicit the main complaints
3. Students will elicit information regarding the main complaints that allows them to categorize them into Oriental medical terms such as interior vrs exterior, excess vs deficiency hot vs cold and yin vs yang, pathogenic substances, pathogenic emotions, environmental influences
4. Students will interview pts to elicit information using a systematic approach to their state of health
5. Students will elicit information and will categorize basic health information into Oriental medical terms such as interior vrs exterior, excess vrs deficiency hot vs cold and yin vs yang
6. Students will integrate the interview into the information obtained by observation and palpation to achieve a basic diagnosis, treatment principals and a treatment plan.
Method of Grading
- Introduction to tongue diagnosis and review of tongue maps
- Tongue diagnosis read “Tongue Diagnosis” Chapters 2, 3, 4
- Tongue diagnosis read “Tongue Diagnosis” Chapters 5, 6, 7
- Ear diagnosis external and internal observations
- Eye observation and eye maps
- The face, structure and general color, review. Read “Face Reading” Intro, Chapters 1 and 2. General facial color with handouts.
- Structure and general color. Read “Face Reading” Chap 8
- Eyes, Mouth, Nose. Read “Face Reading” General facial color and Shen “Face Reading” Chap 9
- Assessing secretions, sweat, urine, stool, sputum, leucorrhea; read Foundations